Last Friday, Mom and Dad Mandel came down to Richmond for a visit. We had not seen them since the beginning of May so I was very excited for them to come. They arrived around 9:30pm on Friday night so of course we stayed up until around midnight drinking wine and catching up. On Saturday morning, mom and I hit the Forest Hill Farmers Market. It is definitely the best Farmers Market I have been to in the Richmond area. We got tons of fresh veggies, cheese, homemade rosemary focaccia, and more. When we got back we packed up to go out on the river.



Mom said she and Dad love living in the city but they never get the piece and quiet of nature. So we headed out on the river to relax and float without a city sound. We had a great day and great weather. Mom was determined to catch a fish which unfortunately never happened but she did significantly improve her casting abilities. At lunchtime, we found a nice little shaded island. We secured our canoes and set out our towels for our picnic. I made a greek orzo salad (with two cucumbers freshly picked from our garden) and we brought the homemade bread and cheese we bought at the farmers market. Of course no Mandel-Fleming picnic is complete without a bottle of wine. We relaxed for quite a while on this little island and then set out on the water again.







When we got down to the take out at pony pasture, there were tons of rocks and people to navigate around. Jeff leaned a little too far to the right and I fell out of the canoe. This was the first time either one of us has fallen out and of course we laughed for about five minutes.
On Saturday night, we used all the fresh veggies we had purchased and created two wonderful pizzas which the men grilled. To go along with the pizza, we had grilled corn on the cob, the rest of the greek orzo salad, and some homemade lemon bars and pies from the farmers market. Dad's birthday is on August 11 and since we will not be with him, we had a mini celebration.
Jeff and I are big brunch fans and are always looking for new places to go. I recently read a review of a new restaurant on Marshall near Belvedere called Black Sheep. The reviewers had great things to say about it and it's brunch was mentioned in the Cheap Eats Richmond Magazine. We arrived at 9am and enjoyed a great leisurely brunch. The food was fantastic!!! Everything we ordered was great. And the prices are VERY easy on the wallet. We will definitely be going back here soon.
Unfortunately I had to leave around 11am to go to Charlottesville for work so I had to say an early goodbye.
Thanks for coming down to visit Mom and Dad! We can't wait to see you again soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment