Sunday, April 5, 2009

Rain Barrel Workshop

When we got back to Richmond today we headed straight to a random house in the North Side to pick up some barrels Jeff found on Craigslist. He found a man selling food grade barrels for $10 each. We purchased two and then headed to Home Depot to buy the rest of the materials we needed to make our own rain barrels. $20 later and we had all we needed.
We cleaned the barrels, drilled holes for the spouts and then created a hole in the top for the gutter to fit into. Really Jeff did most of this. I just helped clean the barrels and hold them in place for the drilling. Jeff also built a small platform for the barrels so they are lifted off the ground just a bit.

I love having a handy husband who knows how to do things without having to even look it up. It saves us so much time, frustration and money. So for $40 we have two rain barrels all set up and ready to catch the rain that will start falling tomorrow. This is the only time I can remember when I am hoping for rain.




We will use this water to water our flowers and our garden and to wash our cars. This will help conserve water which is good for the environment and for our wallets.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

You guys belong in CA. Please move out here.