Our trip to San Francisco was fantastic. We left Friday afternoon from Charlottesville and arrived in San Francisco around 9pm. A friend of Jeff's Aunt Ellen offered to let us stay in her apartment in the Mission for the weekend to save us some money. She provided us with BART passes, maps, and amazing hospitality. She ended up having to go out of town the weekend we were there, but her girlfriend Marla played hostess and was just as hospitable as we imagined Sheila would be. We are so grateful to have been able to stay in Sheila's great apartment.
On Friday night, we were hungry so we ventured out into the Mission neighborhood known for its Latino influences. We promptly found a taqueria, grubbed out and returned to the apartment for some shut eye before a day full of sightseeing.
We were up early Saturday morning to begin our exploration of San Francisco. First stop was the Embarcadero to the Ferry Building for the Saturday morning farmers market. There were delicious, local treats at every turn so we sampled our way through the stands set up outside and in. I was elated to find an Italian booth with the same nutella filled sugar doughnuts mom used to bring us every morning in Catolica, Italy when we were little. It tasted just as good as I remembered.
After Pier 39 we were off to our next touristy location of Ghiradelli Square but faced some pretty major distractions on the way. First-a museum full of old (really old) arcade games that still function. One of the old ass machines ate Jeff's money. Imagine that. He was pissed because he REALLY wanted to beat the machine at arm wrestling. In the back we found skee ball and I whooped up on Jeff. To be fair-he claimed he had never played before.
I had read about the restaurant Flour & Water several times before the trip and it happened to be just a few blocks from the apartment so we decided to go. The food was good but not worth the long wait.
On Sunday we were up early again with plans to rent bikes to ride across the Golden Gate Bridge. Best idea ever. We rode from Pier 39 to the bridge, over the bridge into Sausalito, stopped for lunch on the water, rode up close to Muir Woods to check out the red woods, and then hauled ass to Tiburon to make the last ferry back to the city. Our ride was 30 miles total with beautiful scenery. I am ready to move to the West Coast.
My conference started on Monday afternoon so we were up early again and headed out to explore Ocean Beach. We stopped at the brewery across the street to purchase our souvenir pint glass and growler. While I was in session in the afternoon, Jeff returned to the seafood stand for the chowder in a sourdough bread bowl and spent some more time watching the seals. Dinner on Monday night was at a - GASP! - brewery across the street from the hotel. We are nothing if not predictable.
We then said a tearful goodbye (only I cried) and Jeff made his way to the airport to catch the red eye back to Richmond.
I really hated leaving San Francisco and I cannot wait to return again soon.
I really hated leaving San Francisco and I cannot wait to return again soon.
3 comments:
I'm so glad you had so much fun in San Fran! Its definitely one of my most favorite American cities!!
MOOOOOVEEEE!!
Seriously, tomorrow!
Please please please pretty please.
Don't make me beg SM.
I'll beg!!! Get your butts out to the WEST COAST ASAP, you belong here. I'll move to the Bay area if you do. I swear.
Post a Comment