Monday, November 7, 2011

September 11, 2011

September 11 was such a somber day in our house.  We didn't do much all day and had the usual discussion about where we were when we learned about the planes.  I was in my apartment at school still asleep and Melissa Thweatt, my roommate, busted through the door and yelled for all of us to wake up.  Lesley, Meredith and I all came out of our rooms wondering what on earth was going on as Melissa turned on the TV.  The four of us huddled on the couch for the next several hours watching the footage in disbelief.  Jeff was on his way back from class at the stoplight at Price's Fork and he heard the news on 105.3 The Bear.  He got back to his apartment and two of his roommates were up.  They sat around all day drinking beer and watching TV in his words "trying to decide what the fuck had happened".  


For some reason, though, I didn't feel the level of emotion back then as I did this year.  I think it probably has something to do with me being older and more in tune with reality.  This year we watched the special on primetime narrated by Robert DeNiro about one of the firehouses that responded first to the first plane but miraculously no one from that house was killed.  Their lives now, on the other hand, are totally messed up and many of them have passed from multiple types of cancer.  Horrible.

A few days later I found this video and I love this story of unity and patriotism.  Did anyone know about this because I didn't until this year.


I will never understand how horrible people exist to do horrible things to innocent people but you really do see people's true colors when they are faced with unspeakable tragedy.

No comments: