Thursday, January 7, 2010

Sew Time

Starting last year, Marshall and Kathy ask us for experiences rather than gifts for Christmas. My gift to Kathy last year was a day on the James River in our canoe. Unfortunately time got away from both of us last summer and we never quite made it happen. This summer we are going to be sure to spend a really nice day paddling and fishing together. This year, I asked Kathy if she would teach me to sew. She is a VERY good seamstress and started making her own clothes when she was in high school. She told me Monday night during my first lesson that she even used to make her own bikinis.
On Monday night, she got out her new sewing machine and we got to work making Christmas bags. She uses them as an eco-friendly alternative to wrapping paper every Christmas and they are just a big square with a slot for a ribbon. Hard to mess up.

Kathy was a great teacher and I finished my first sewing project ever with only a few diagonal lines. Thanks for the lesson, Kathy. I can't wait to practice on some new projects!

1 comment:

Ashley said...

So jealous! I've been wanting to learn how to sew!