Friday, June 25, 2010

Italian Pizza in Richmond? Yes, please!

On the way home from the gym a few weeks ago, I was reading Style Weekly at stop lights.  I came across an article on a new restaurant in Richmond that opened in the former 1 N. Belmont location and that serves real, Neapolitan pizza.  Italian pizza in Richmond?  I may have sped a little on the way home as I called Jeff to inform him that we would be eating out that night.  After I explained why, he and I changed clothes quite quickly and were back out the door to try Stuzzi.



While not the best Italian pizza I have had in the States, it is the closest thing I will get.  The crust was right, the toppings were right, but there was something about the sauce that needed some adjusting.  To be perfectly honest, it tasted canned.  I became a fan of Pietro, the owner, when we asked for some spicy oil to put atop our pizzas.  He didn't have any, but headed straight back to the kitchen to whip some up just for us.  It was delicious and he told us he would make it for us anytime we are in the restaurant.  The pizza was delicious enough that we will certainly be returning to Stuzzi and it is now my go-to pizza restaurant in Richmond.

No comments: