For a few weeks before the fourth of July, Jeff was obsessed with interested in buying a boat. He spent hours scouring the internet looking for a good deal. I somewhat pretended this wasn't going to happen and smiled and nodded when he asked my opinion. I went away to the Convention and, upon my return, he asked me to call him just as soon as I got home. I pulled down our street just knowing there would be a boat in our driveway. I was wrong. It was only until a few weeks later that the dream of boat ownership became a reality.
Jeff found the boat he was looking for on a message board and it just happened to be located in a marina in Virginia Beach. He stalked was very persistent in contacting the owner until he finally heard back, drove down to VA beach to check out the boat, put a deposit on it and owned it all in one week. Our maiden voyage took place on Saturday, July 3. Marshall, Kathy, Jeff and I drove to the Little Creek Marina to meet the owner so he could turn over the keys to us. The owner is a soon to be single guy who seemed very sad to be letting go of a boat he was obviously very proud of. He kept it immaculately clean and in great condition and we are going to strive to keep it just the same.
Our maiden voyage took us from the Little Creek Marina to City Park in Portsmouth to pick up Paul and James so Paul could lead us back to his house on the Elizabeth River. When we arrived, we picked up Courtney, Jenna and Kathy and cruised to Norfolk Waterside to meet Scott, Amy and Chase for a family lunch at Hooters. We returned everyone to Paul and Courtney's house and James, Paul, Jeff and I went back out to do a little croaker fishing until time for dinner. It was a perfect first day on the boat.
On the 4th we woke up and went to the bait shop so Jeff could get some line put on some old school reels he bought on EBay and so I could get a purple saltwater fishing pole. We returned to the house, got ready for the 4th and headed over to Marshall and Kathy's for a cookout with the fam and friends. A little eating, some fishing and some slip and sliding took place. The grandparents watched the little ones so the youngins could cruise on the boat back to Waterside to watch the fireworks show by boat. It was my first time watching fireworks by boat and it was perfect.
On Monday, we invited Chunk and Katie out on the boat with us for an afternoon of flounder fishing. Katie was the only one with any luck and she caught a skate. Not exactly what we were looking for but we had a great afternoon on the water.
I guess I have to admit I am coming around to the idea of owning this boat. It is a tremendous amount of fun!

No comments:
Post a Comment