A few weekends ago was the Monument Avenue 10k race. It is one of my faves because of all the music and fanfare and I feel like everyone in Richmond participates. Sweet Mason came down and stayed with us on Friday night and we ran in the race on Saturday. I ran a personal best and had fun people watching while running and lunching with Cort, Clayton, Jeff and Mason afterwards.
Unfortunately I received a call from Jeff just after I finished running during which he told me I had gotten a call from my grandmother's retirement home. She had been found at 6:15am in the bathroom after a fall that resulted in a broken hip and surgery had already been scheduled for Sunday morning at 8:30am.
After lunch, I showered and headed over to the hospital. Poor Annie was on morphine, was confused and wanted to go home. That being said, she was in overall good spirits. We had a nice visit and I got some details taken care of with the nurses. I left Annie sleeping soundly.
Then it was time to join the Ramnation for the VCU final four game. We planned to watch the game at The National surrounded by tons of VCU students and fans. The screen was big, the music and cheering were loud, and the beer was flowing. SO. MUCH. FUN.
Even though VCU lost, we still had one of the most fun nights I think I have ever had in Richmond. We all cut loose. Scott and Amy were in town for a fundraiser and were kind enough to pick us up from The Fan. Jeff, Scott and I then played college late night and ate our weight in pizza.
On Sunday morning, my alarm went off at 5:30 and I drug myself out of bed, into some clothes (or I might have still been wearing mine from Saturday night) and into the car to head over to the hospital and spend some time with Annie before her surgery. We chatted for a bit and then she suggested we take a snooze before the surgery. YES! When the nurses came, we wheeled her down to the OR and I gave her some words of encouragement before it was time for me to go.
I drove back to the house for a short while before picking Uncle Julian up from the airport. The rest of the day was spent eating, resting and visiting Annie.
No comments:
Post a Comment