Friday, April 6, 2012

Weekend of Compelling Ales and Whatnot

The weekend of March 15 we drove to Delaware with Steve and Danielle to attend Dogfish Head's Weekend of Compelling Ales and Whatnot.  Danielle and Steve contacted us back in January to see if we wanted to go with them and we jumped at the chance.  The tickets were $15 per person for basically all you can drink, a tour of the brewery, a chance to meet Sam (owner of brewery) and more.  Danielle and Steve met us at our house on Friday afternoon and we hit the road up north.  

We hadn't seen Danielle and Steve in so long and we chatted and caught up the whole way up to Delaware.  We checked into our hotel in Rehobeth Beach and immediately set out for the Dogfish Head Brewpub in town for some beers.  When in Romehobeth, right?  Get it?  Something you should know about Dogfish Head beers is that they are very strong.  That, combined with the fact that we may or may not have had several road sodas on the way up meant that our walk back to the hotel was full of laughter by everyone and slow walking by me.  I have a tendency to go splat.  






On Saturday, Danielle and I woke up early for a run on the beach.  I brought my clothes in preparation and went to put on my shoes only to discover that I only had one.  Ginger is very fond of stealing my shoes and she had taken my second running show right on out of my suitcase before we left Richmond.  Danielle and I decided to run barefoot.  It was cold outside.  We had a nice run/walk but our feet were bright red and numb by the end and poor Bella had sand everywhere.  

We got showered up and ready for a day of sampling and the boys, Danielle and I set out for Dogfish Head.  When we arrived we checked in, grabbed our beer passports and began sampling.  When we sampled each beer, the beer pourer stamped the square with the name of the particular beer we were sampling.  The stamps ended up spelling "off-centered ales."  We also took a tour of the brewery complete with safety glasses and it was definitely the most interesting brewery tour I have taken thus far.  




















I should mention we didn't really eat so that, combined with lots of strong beer samples meant we were feeling pretty darn good after we finished.  We added a round of bocce ball, an encounter with Sam and some shopping and then we all took a long nap back at the hotel.

The boys ordered pizza so I had a little feast when I woke up from my nap.  I think some of our group wanted to go back to the Brewpub that night, but I did not have the energy.  The day was so fun.

The next morning, we got up and went to the special Brewpub brunch before hitting the road back to Va.  I spent the ride finishing the first Hunger Games book. Who else has read the trilogy?



Thanks Danielle and Steve for inviting us to the #WCAAWN!


No comments: