Monday, July 16, 2012

A Little Local Flava

Richmond has become majorly involved with the local food movement.  Our Farmers Markets are amazing, we have a bustling Food Truck scene, and breweries are popping up everywhere.  Of course we are taking advantage of all.  We spent one evening having dinner at the Food Truck Court in the parking lot of the VA Historical Society, we joined our CSA once again this year which has fed our love for beets, arugula, onions, chard, kale, and so much more.  We have sampled yummy mexican food, vegan cupcakes, and beer named after our beloved Virginia Tech.

Jeff and his bros decided to bring a little local flavor home as well when they went in on purchasing a third of a half of a cow.  Our friend Chris's brother in law raises cattle and then you know what happens next.  So Jeff and I drove up to Broadway, VA one weekend to pick up the meat.  I don't consider myself a very squeamish person but as Jeff and I walked into the building where they were grinding the meet, I looked down at my foot resting in my sandal and there was raw meat stuck to it.  YOU GUYS-SO GROSS!  I quickly and politely excused myself outside into Chris's inlaw's beautiful garden before my lunch ended up on the floor.  The worst part was that Chris's wife, her sister and niece were in the grinder building packaging the meat as if it was the most normal and non-gross thing.  I just couldn't do it.  Instead I befriended Chris's wife's mom and asked her lots of questions about her garden.  Then she let Jeff and me pick some strawberries while Ginger sneakily went for a swim in their koi pond.  








 
Post koi pond swim



I LOVE BEETS!

No comments: