Wednesday, January 7, 2009

A New Year and a New Day in London

On January 1, we were up and at 'em although feeling a bit sluggish due to the antics the night before. Ashley told us an English Full was the best cure for headaches and cotton mouth so we headed to the most adorable breakfast spot I have ever seen called Tom's. It was like a little slice of cherry pie. I wish I had taken pictures of the inside. We pigged out and chugged three carafes of water before a day of sightseeing. The weather in London never made it above 30 degrees so lots of warm up stops were necessary over the four days we were there.


After breakfast we walked to the Paddington Tube Station and caught the Tube to Picadilly to watch the New Years Day parade or at least enough of it to see a band from Colorado and Wisconsin. Come all the way to London to see American marching bands...
I also spotted this ad on the side of a bus stop. An amazing invention, no? I know several people that could benefit from a service like this. hehe.

After the parade we headed to Buckingham Palace where Jeff and I got a photo with the guard. This was so unbelievably touristy that I laughed hysterically while the picture was taken. I think the guard probably thought I was nutso. Afterwards it was on to Big Ben and Parliament and Westminster Abbey. Amazing structures. We are in love with London architecture.





The next stop was a pub for our first pints in London. Hoegaardens all around.

After the pub we walked along the Thames and visited Trafalgar and Leicester square to check out the scenery and take more touristy photos. On the way to take the bus back to Ash & Jason's flat, we stopped at Sainsbury's (a grocery store) for some necessary food and a snack for Jeff. When we are in new places, we like to try new and different foods. Jeff discovered bacon soy crisps. They are soy crisps that look and taste JUST LIKE bacon! We couldn't believe how authentically bacon-like these crisps tasted so we kept eating them...especially Jeff til he finished the bag right off. We then boarded a double decker bus and sat right in front on the top. Let's just say that vantage point and the driver's jerky driving combined with the bag of bacon crisps left Jeff feeling a little woozy.

But not for long. When we got back to the flat, Ashley put out a tray of brie and gorgonzola with crackers. That along with Prosecco for the girls and Fosters for the boys made for a happy group. Ash prepared a delicious dinner for us that night in her mini kitchen and then Ash & Jay entertained us with a slideshow of the photos from their 2 week mediteranean Christmas cruise.

At that point, jet lag caught up with us and we crashed.

No comments: