Friday, August 12, 2011

40 Years and Counting

Speaking of every weekend away, the weekend of July 16 took us on a mini getaway to Bay Creek Resort with my parents to celebrate their 40th wedding anniversary.  I am so inspired by long lasting relationships and am so proud that my parents have been married for 40 years and are still going strong.  They are a true inspiration.  We were so happy to be invited to spend their anniversary weekend with them.  In full disclosure, I think the main reason we were invited is that with Courtney and Jeff comes boat.  


The plan was to meet them on Friday night over at Bay Creek so we sped down to Tidewater to hop on the boat and begin the hour long journey across the bay to arrive before nightfall.  Unfortunately, the bay had different plans for us.  As we entered into the bay, we were hit with strong winds and large waves.  I, not as comfortable on the water as Jeff, was freaking out on the inside.  I was repeatedly asking Jeff, "Are you sure this is safe?  Maybe we shouldn't go over tonight."  He assured me we were fine...for about five minutes.  He then agreed we should abandon the plan.

Fortunately Salt Pond Marina was in sight so we changed course and headed in that direction.  We pulled in, tried to find someone to check in with, no one was there so we stayed for free.  Sweet.  We called mom and dad to inform them of our change in plans and recommended that they eat at Aqua, the great restaurant right at the marina and that we would see them in the morning.  

There was a redneck restaurant right by us so we dined on fried fish and coronas before making our way back to the stern of the boat for more coronas by moonlight.  At 5am I awoke needing to use the facilities which woke Jeff up so we decided we might as well set off for Bay Creek.  The ride over was beautiful-there was reggae in our ears, the rising sun was in our eyes and the salty wind in our hair.

We pulled in to Bay Creek around 7 and I delighted in calling mom to tell her we were there already.  We met mom and dad up in the kitchen of the adorable cottage they rented right by the marina for a small breakfast and then we loaded the boat and were off for a day on the water.  We actually caught fish this time, got lots of sun, and saw a pod of probably 100 or more dolphins and a giant sea turtle.  It was spectacular.


We headed back to the marina around 5pm and Jeff and I set off for the grocery store to purchase all ingredients necessary to prepare an anniversary feast fit for a couple celebrating their 40th anniversary.  Mom and dad relaxed with some cocktails while Jeff and I worked our magic in the kitchen.  Lucky for all of us, Jeff brought the mahi he and his buddies caught at Chunk's bachelor party several weeks earlier.  



The dinner was delicious and we chatted and laughed into the night.



On Sunday we were back out on the boat for another beautiful day on the water.  On this day we discovered a sandbar that gets completely exposed during the day so you can anchor your boat just off of it and then play in the sand, put your grill out or "throw shoes" as one of the kind gentlemen there told us.  

Mom and Dad-I am so proud that you are my parents and I look up to you and all your years together. Thanks for setting the example for us and thanks for letting us celebrate with you!

xoxo

No comments: